Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Dennett's and The Fringe


I read in a book on photojournalism that press conferences were evil. It went on to say that they were contrived situations where one party would lure the media in to portray them in a certain way. In order to combat this as the unbiased news photographer, it was suggested that one should shoot the fringe instead of the middle. The pulpit or podium being the middle. What kinds of people are watching, what are their reactions? Basically shoot the only thing that those holding the press conference have no control over. When the first lady came to Zion's National Park in Springdale, Utah to hold a press conference she was welcomed by one of the sweetest families I have ever met. The Dennet's. They were the fringe.

Although I am not one for politics, and feel more lost than opinionated when I think of the current administration, I found the sincerity and respect of the Dennet family for Mrs. Bush very endearing and authentic. After I took a few photos of them we stood in the shade of their front yard that is one of the last homes before entering the park and ate pecans that fell from the trees. I felt like I was talking with family as their kids chased eachother around the yard and we talked about common threads between our lives. I left feeling welcomed and optimistic. They were a typical American family that was proud of their visitor.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Did I ever tell you about my Dick Cheney "town hall meeting" story? This is especially why press conferences are evil. So, Cheney and his wife are sitting on a small stage, with rows of chairs on three sides of them, and risers behind them. Think pro-wrestling match, with the ring in the middle. The press risers were, of couse, in the back facing the vice prez and his lady directly (with those other risers behind them). Now, because I needed to be there early, I watched as the people filed in and sat down. And let's be honest here, there was only an occasional sprinkle of color in the otherwise sea of white Minnesota folk. A black family came in and sat down, as did an Asian couple, and a few other "ethnically diverse" people. Then I watched as one of the event organizers comes and hand picks them and every other non-white person in the crowd out of their seats and moves them all to the back risers... the ones that form a lovely background for the press photographers. HOW COOL IS THAT?! Ugh.