Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Immigra



Being at the rally/march on Sunday reminded me about immigration. It seems like it had been overshadowed by health care and other issues lately. I know it is a complex issue, but seeing that many people out and about who we would normally consider neighbors and friends, convinces me of a need for reform. We marched by a spot on State Street where years earlier the ball joint on my car broke and I was helped by two Mexican guys who didn't speak any English but helped me get the car to the side of the road and onto a tow truck. I am not going to assume that just because they couldn't speak English they were some illegal immigrants or something, but that same warm vibe of cooperation and compassion was present at the march. Although I have never been against immigration reform, it was clear to me that the issue is still affecting hundreds of families and shouldn't be pushed too far into the shadows.

5 comments:

Steve Gravano said...

Excellent series Mike.

travisrichardson said...

That is an awesome shot. I love the emotion.

Meg said...

Killer photos. The crowd looks fantastic.

-Meg

The Real Jim Heywood said...

Really like the photos - as I always do. Being from Southern California where my race is in the minority, I have a great love and respect for the Hispanic people. Having said that, we cannot have completely open borders. If laws need to be changed to be more compassionate or whatever, let's do it, but there must be some sort of restrictions for entry.

Matt Mills McKnight said...

Protesting in SLC? Nice. I'm especially into that first frame.

Hope you're well, dude.