Friday, January 28, 2011

WIDE



My editors probably hate this, but this season I have started to shoot much wider at basketball. Perhaps it is due to getting bored with the vertical 70-200 layup photo, but I am starting to really get into the wide under the basket photo, where you can get an idea of how scrappy some games can be. I don't think I've enjoyed shooting basketball as much as this year. It tends to be the main winter sport that we cover at the paper, just wish the Spazz were doing a bit better so the season will be as long as possible.

Photography is such a strange progression that manifests itself over and over again. You see other work, you copy it, try to do the same thing, get bored with that, see something else you like, copy that, then once in awhile you find something you think is uniquely your style, then you see someone who is doing it better so you rise, dial it in, then get bored with it, check on something else....then repeat. Probably with most things, there are these pockets of pure creativity stuck between trying to reproduce something to look like the status quo, and complacently getting "good enough" photos.

4 comments:

Shums said...

We web dudes love the wide shots, MT. Much easier to display for our purposes. :)

Lindsay Z said...

Looks cool! Sheesh, you're good.

Mattj said...

I enjoy this second paragraph here.

The Real Jim Heywood said...

Mike, I love the wide angle shot! Wide is my preferred mode. And with all due respect - and maybe I'm splitting hairs - I don't believe we "copy" but gain "inspiration" from others' work. Love your images!