Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tschüß



A few years ago a friend and I were talking about photography and periodically he would give me advice. He said something that I’ve thought about quite a bit since then. “Photography doesn’t owe you a career.” I think what he meant is that you have to work for what you want, and the level of how much you have to work is not always on your terms. I agreed with him, and I still do. Although I feel incredibly fortunate to have gathered such meaningful experiences over such a short time here at the news. I don’t really know if I’ve necessarily earned what I’ve been able to see, record and do here. It’s been my home, my school and for the most part all I know in regards to a professional career.

Because photography and journalism don’t “owe” us careers, that which we’ve gathered along the way becomes even more valuable. In the end photojournalism has given me experiences that have taught and defined me, friends I consider family, an appreciation for this country and state, and technically even a wife.

Journalists are special people. For as competitive as the industry is, even in the best of economic times, everyone always looks out for the newbie, the beginner. I’ve learned that good journalism can be a sacred and perfect church produced and maintained by imperfect people. I’ve felt like everyone’s little brother for the past six years and my appreciation for you all runs deep.

Our home aka “TerryGross” has been such a special place and a few nights ago, before leaving, the Cricket and I sat out back and thought about all the good times we’ve had there with many of you. I’ve noticed over the past few years that I would look back on these moments with an aching heart. Thank you. I’ll/We’ll miss you.

Reposted from www.utahphotojournalism.com

No comments: