Saturday, February 23, 2008

Trolley Square Memorial

On the day I took this photo, it was the one year anniversary of the Trolley Square shooting. I cannot even begin to explain the feelings. Pictured above is Stacy Hanson, a survivor who came to visit the small makeshift memorial at the mall. It creeps up inside of me like a horrible disease when I think of what that day last year did for me as far as photography is concerned. I think it was the first time the higher ups at the paper even heard my name although I had been stringing there for almost two years. The past three years has been such a progression in life, with photography acting as the medium. Because Trolley Square and the photos that came out of that night were a pivotal point along this progression I still don't know how to feel about the notion that I benefited from covering a tragic event. It is something I imagine I will continue to learn, bit by bit, photo by photo. We did a little write up in the newspaper about the Trolley Square photo last October when it won an award and I really regret not including something in the interview. I guess now is my opportunity to say what I feel should have been written in the article: My deepest condolences to the families of all involved. Although the randomness of the shootings strike a familiar cord of vulnerability in all of us, none of us know exactly how those involved must feel. May the rest of their lives which may include continual struggles of asking "why" be lived as a tribute their loved ones who were taken.

1 comment:

Sarah Kaye said...

I saw the memorial photos for the Trolley Square shootings on the Deseret News website. It brought back a lot of emotions and memories from that day. They are beautiful pics, Mike. Not just because of the layout or the lighting or whatever, but because of what they say and how they make everyone (or at least me) feel.

PS. don't look at pictures with this kind of story while at work. People give you funny looks and wonder what in the world is wrong with you.